Frequently asked questions

Students back to top

When should I apply?

Available all year round.

Who is eligible to apply?

Any full-time or part-time student (domestic or international) who is currently enrolled are eligible to apply.

How do I apply for accommodation?

We only accept applications through our STUDENT LIVING – RENTAL LINK website. Firstly, you will be required to register your details before you can submit an online application. Please be aware that these are private rentals and are governed by the state laws and legislations involved in signing a lease agreement. Kindly ensure that you have fully completed the application for submission. An email will be sent to you when we have received your application. 

Do you offer accommodation for one semester only?

A lease is generally available for 6-12 months. Please refer to the property information page for full details.  

How will I find out if application was successful?

Successful applicants will be contacted directly by the Landlord. Ensure that your contact information is current and be sure to check your email inbox as well as your spam mail. 

What other types of accommodation does UTAS provide?

Information about our accommodation offering is available here. 

Can my partner live with me?

This would depend on the property and the leasing agreement you have signed with the landlord. Remember single occupancy means one person, if you have more than one person living with you, this is a breach of your agreement and you may be evicted. 

Can I break my lease?

It is advised that you should contact your landlord as soon as possible if you are planning to move out for any reason. 

If a student needs to leave for personal, work, study, financial or family reasons and cannot come to an agreement with the landlord, they will need to break the lease. Under the Act, if a tenant wishes to leave before the end of a fixed term lease they are responsible for the full rent until the end of the lease or until new tenants can be found. Both the tenant and the landlord are required to take all steps to ‘mitigate loss’. Tenants are liable for all reasonable costs involved in finding a new tenant. However, the landlord can only charge for actual, itemised costs (not a break lease fee) of finding a new tenant, which are usually the advertising costs. 

Please contact the Tenants Union for further details; 1300 652 641, Monday – Friday 9.30am – 4.00pm

How much is the rental?

Rental prices vary depending on the type of accommodation Details are available with each individual property on the Student Living – Rental Link web site. 

What is included in the rental price?

Details of furnishing included in a property can be found on the information page of said property you are interested in leasing. 

How can I pay my rent?

In accordance with your Rental Tenancy Agreement, rent is paid fortnightly in advance to the landlord. Each landlord may have a different means of payment, and will be something you (The tenant) and the landlord will arrange.  

Forms such as, credit card, BPay or bank transfers may make these payments. 

What is a Bond?

A bond is the money that a Tenant pays at the beginning of the tenancy as a financial security. It is used in the event that they fail to meet their obligations under the tenancy agreement, such as failure to pay rent or damage to the property.  

Do I have to pay a security deposit/Bond?

Yes. When accepting your offer and upon signing your lease, a bond (usually 4 weeks in rent) is payable to Service Tasmania and will be held until the end of your leasing agreement.  

The bond is fully refundable upon departure from your stay, provided that you have not incurred any arrears in your payments, and adhered to the conditions in the leasing agreement. 

What is a Lease?

A lease is meant to protect both the landlord and the tenant by letting each side know their responsibilities and obligations. The lease will include the length of the agreement, the monthly or yearly rental payment, the procedures for collecting rent, as well as the obligations of the tenant while leasing the property. 

If the landlord or tenant breaks any term of the lease, the lease is no longer binding. The offending party may be subject to legal action and financial penalty for breach of contract. 

What is a Condition Report?

A condition report describes the property’s general state of repair before the tenant moves in. If the landlord wants a tenant to pay a bond, he or she must give the tenant two signed copies of a condition report at or before the beginning of the tenancy.  

If the tenant finds damage that is not described in the condition report, he or she may add the details to both copies before signing the document. The tenant must then sign one copy and return it to the owner within two days of receiving the documents.  

Can I stay beyond the end of my lease contract date?

This can be possible and is something that should be discussed with your landlord. 

What happens if I want to move out of my accommodation during the term of my lease?

When you signed your lease, you have entered into a legally binding contract. You are required to inform the landlord in writing about your intention to vacate and there are forms which you need to fill-in to complete the process. Your case will be managed by the landlord and will be at the discretion of said landlord whether you will incur any penalties. 

Are there any accessible accommodation options available?

There are properties that do cater to residents with special needs. There are a range of accommodation options that have been specifically built or modified to incorporate accessibility features. You can locate these by using the filter process on the Student Living – Rental Link website.  

You can find out more about our accessibility options by contacting us 1300 138 497 

I am new to Tasmania. Do you have airport pick-up service available?

Yes. This service is only available to new international students arriving at UTAS for the first time. To register for an airport pickup, you must submit a booking via our online system here.

What should I bring with me?

Apart from your personal belongings, the essential items to bring with you are bed linen and kitchen utensils. Otherwise, you may choose to purchase them from the local stores. 

Please keep in mind that your property of choice may not have all furnishings and you may need to purchase large items of furniture. 

What are the facilities available?

Please refer to the properties details information page for full details. 

Are there television rooms or common areas available?

Please refer to the properties detailed information page on Student Living – Rental Link website. 

Is there room cleaning service provided?

No. Your room is your responsibility and you will be required to clean your own room throughout the period of your leasing agreement. 

Your landlord will conduct regular cleaning inspections. It is the responsibility of each flatmate to maintain the overall cleanliness of common areas 

Are there laundry facilities provided?

Some properties may contain a washing machine and dryer, please refer to the properties information page for full details.  

Is there parking available for residents?

Please refer to property information page on the Student Living – Rental Link website for full details. 

Can I have Family/Guests/Visitors?

You are entitled to have guest and visitor staying with you as per your leasing agreement. You are responsible for any damages caused by family/guests/visitors and ensuring they adhere to the conditions within your lease agreement. 

Can I have pets?

No pets or animals are allowed to be kept in or about the premises without the prior written permission of the property owner. 

What is my mailing address?


Apt/Unit/Street No: 

Street Name: 




I have lost my keys.

Contact your landlord.  

What should I do before I depart?

Prior to departure, ensure that:  

  • You have removed your belongings; 

  • The property is left in a clean state; 

  • Return the keys to the landlord (to avoid any charges); 

  • If you will not be returning, ensure that you have submitted a Request for Refund form for your security deposit. 

How can I get a refund of my security deposit / bond?

At the end of a tenancy any person or organisation who has contributed to a bond and who has signed the bond form is entitled to make a claim on the bond. The landlord must provide the tenant with a signed claim form within 3 business days of the end of the lease. If all parties agree to this and sign the claim form the Rental Deposit Authority (RDA) will pay out the bond as soon as possible in the proportions agreed to on the Claim Form 

Do not sign a blank claim form, a claim form without values or a claim form where the amounts listed are in dispute. 

More information can be found here (Tenants Union). 

Providers back to top

This is another example question

Sign in as an administrator to manage Frequently Asked Questions.

How much should I charge?

This is not an easy answer to provide. There are many variables that can dictate what price would be appropriate to ask per week. These can be (but are not limited to):

  • How many bedrooms are in the property in total?
  • How many people you are expecting to stay in total (bearing in mind students normally want a room to themselves)?
  • Are you including bills, internet, phone?
  • How close in proximity is the property to the university and transport?
  • Are there any other factors affecting price that could mean a higher or lower price?

The easiest way to figure pricing out is how much is the property per week, divided by how many people are intending to live in the property. Bear in mind, students are always attracted to prices that are lower. 

How do I edit my listing?

You will need to log in to view your property. When you find the property you want to edit, click on the address, which will open your listing.

At the top of your listing where the address is in the heading, you should see two links, Make Changes and Close. Click on Make Changes.

* Please note, changes are not approved automatically. Please allow up to 48 hours for changes to be made to your listing (this timeframe can increase over the weekend or public holiday period).

How do I close my listing?

Closing your listing is easy, simply follow the steps below:

  • Log in to your Dashboard.
  • Once in your Dashboard, you should see your listings. Click on the listing you wish to close
  • On the heading (it should read something like 'House, Test Road'), you will see two links: Edit and Close. Click on the Close link.
  • Once you click the link, another pop up window will appear asking you if you really want to close your listing. Click on the 'Close this listing' button to remove your listing from the public domain.
  • Your listing is now closed. If you choose to relist in the future, simply log back in and hit the relist link from your Dashboard.

When will my listing be approved?

There is usually a 24 hour turnaround for listing approvals, this can sometimes take longer if listing on a Friday or weekend, in which case your listing will be reviewed the following working day.

How long will my listing last for?

Listings last for a period of one month from the approval date. The reason for this is that sometimes providers forget to close a listing once they have found a tenant, and this can be particularly disheartening for students seeking accommodation.